Re: Roarer?

Amanda,

About 15 years ago I had a horse that roared.   He was Saddlebred.... great
big 17 hand tall beast with a hell of a personality, who I rescued from an
ugly divorce situation.  When I first brought him home, I didn't think he
would live. He was 600 pounds underweight, I  kid you not! He couldn't walk,
just sorta leaned against the barn. I fed him right there, he drank, he ate,
and soon was dancing all over the place! Amazing horse.

Anyway, he started making funny noises. Like your horse it was just at the
canter at first.  I figured he had a cold/flu/maybe pneumonia, so I treated
him hard with antibiotics.  Didn't work.  Called the vet, who came out and
scoped him.  I don't remember it costing a whole lot.... we were VERY broke
back then, and he was able to tell me right away that he was a roarer, as
well as having entrapment of the soft palate, and something else that I
can't recall.

All of his conditions were treatable surgically, but have a tendency to
re-occur. Perhaps advances have been made in the technique since then, I
don't know.  At that time, surgery would have cost about $2000 - $2500,
which I could not afford.

I kept Dancer another 18 months, I rode him til he couldn't handle it any
more, then left him out to pasture.  I had him put down when he could no
longer get around in the pasture without wheezing, staggering, and acting
light-headed.

I have read that Saddlebreds, TWHs, and TBs have a greater tendency toward
these problems due to the longer length of their heads. I definitly think
you and a vet should do some homework, and see what options you have.  Good
luck to you and your horse.

Julie, Natira the new girl,
Decker the Dweeb, and
Jynxie the Wonder Pony