Prejudiced? Mare or Gelding? White hooves or black?

Now that I've found my former-race horse/endurance prospects I'm just
mulling over some old, possibly prejudiced information while I wait for it
to dry out enough for me to go do test rides.

I've only owned mares.  And fairly calm quarterhorse and appaloosa mares at
that.   Now that I'm looking at 'hotter' arabs,  I'm thinking I should look
primarily at geldings.

What's your preference for an endurance horse, mare or gelding?

And did anyone ever prove that hoof color was not connected to softness?
White hooves on all four feet aren't necessarily bad for an endurance
prospect arab, are they?