Re: Re: Allergy to food?

Tracy, this is a real long shot, but how long ago did you make the feed change?  If it was a ways back (like several months), AND if you happened to get some feed that was....well, elderly, then heavy molasses can over a long period of time destroy the lysine content in a feed.

I changed him over about two months ago.  I don't know how old the feed was.

>> And, those sort of deficiencies can show up in lighter hairs that don't fall out per se, but are more brittle and so break easier under rub spots.

That is EXACTLY what it looks like!

>> Try looking at some other hairs and see if they look sort of bleached and curled---not laying down smoothly even when groomed.  It's not something that going to show up overnight, but it's at least something to rule out.

Yes, there are areas like that.  I thought it was because they were so bristly.

As far as I know, allergies normally won't cause hair to actually fall out, you're more likely to see hives and the like, plus it tends to be more generalized over the body.  Pretty severe mineral imbalances can also cause brittle hair, but also not overnight.

I don't think that's the problem, as I supplement with vitamins to make up for deficiencies in the grazing.  If there was a deficiency in the food, I doubt it would show up in only two months?

Of course, the easiest thing to do to find out if it's feed-related is to switch back to the previous feed and see if the symptoms resolve.

I started doing that on Friday.  I'm changing him over faster than normal (he's now only getting a handful of the new food).  I'm already noticing that he's less itchy.

I should never have changed the food in the first place.  The old food was much, much nicer.      The new food is just more easily available.

Thanks, Susan.  Once again, you are the Goddess of Feed.

Tracey