Re: Lightning strikes twice

The storms here have been unreal lately. I think our three year drought is officially over. I had to use my boat to get to my barn yesterday.  For almost two weeks straight my house has been pounded by two or three severe thunderstorms every day. During one of these storms my house had a direct hit. The modem on my ten year old computer died. When I went to Best Buy to purchase a new modem for it the salesman laughed at me when I told him how old my computer was.

Haha. Well, guess what? I ended up buying a new puter, ten times faster than my last one, instead of trying to purchase the modem that they don't make anymore. The salesman even suckered me into a FREE YEAR OF MSN, which is kind of freaking me out since I've been on AOL longer than I've been riding endurance.

So, this is gonna be my new email address for a year or so. We'll see if it's free or not, I didn't believe the guy either, especially when a credit card number was involved to get your free year. That's OK, most of the credit card numbers I give these people are maxed out or expired or under an alias. lol.

Anyway, what I did with the old computer when I got back home was I plugged it in, ran a two hundred foot extension cord to it, turned it on (it doesn't load programs anymore, but the electric went into it which was what I wanted), saddled up Dance Line and took along my 12 gauge shot gun.

I think I've invented a new equestrian sport. Puter Hunting. Damn if we didn't get into a full gallop, headed right towards the puter, swinging from a tree attached by a rope (my wife swung it for me then ran like Hell), splashing water from the rain we've had lately all over the place (it didn't dawn on me till later how dangerous this might be with the electric cord lying in this newly formed lake in my back yard).  We charged it like Ghenghis Khan going after an unwelcome house guest who had overstayed their visit. The buckshot missed it's target on our first try, so went back to give it another shot (haha, pun intended).

Direct hit on the second run, and sparks went flying.  The noise was fantastic, even more awful than that noise your modem makes when connecting to your internet service provider. Dance was so excited he even reared up for me (I forgot his tie down, lol) while I had my shotgun in my hand. We Killed the evil computer.  It fell from the attached rope and sizzled in Lake Howard.  Would have made a great picture for Hunters with Horses magazine. Anyway, my old computer is officially dead. We did blow a fuse doing all this, but it was damn well worth it. I'm thinking of starting a new career, letting people do this at my place, eliminating the computer they have grown to hate more than a California Congressman.  And in my back yard, they can kill it with flair; no lie detector test, no media investigation. Charge them twenty bucks for the thrill and I'll even provide the fuse.

cya,

Howard