GPS and heart rate monitors

In my Great Gathering of Endurance Stuff hunt it is time to consider the
GPS and heart rate monitors. I'd like some input as to which are good
ones to get considering accuracy, ease of use, etc.

Also, per the GPS, do they work from the saddle pack or do they have to
be held out to work?  I've never used one. I'd like one that gives me
the current mph, the average mph, fastest speed, slowest speed,
distance, can be programmed to not count stops at watering or down time
to give me an accurate time actually moving forward on the horse. Is
this possible?  Also, what other nifty things does the GPS do that is
actually useful for endurance riding?

Thanks!

Kris