Walnut trees

Hi Ridecampers; Thanks to the many of you who asked my question privately and on ridecamp about walnut trees. The consensus seems to be that the trees should stay. Because they are on a steep  hill  with lots of brush around them, I don't think the fallen leaves will even be stood upon. That was the only concern.  We wont be chipping them , we've been careful not to put walnut through the chipper. Many folks have the walnut trees with no history of any problems, so I think we'll leave them.   We don't have any cherry trees. I talked to a woman on the phone who was having a problem with her thoroughbred race mare in Kentucky. The mares graze upon the grass where there are  certain caterpillars which eats cherry leaves, and the caterpillar apparently excretes a cyanide substance onto the grass pastures. This is causing a syndrome of mare abortions and other problems.  She said the caterpillars were very heavy this year and it happens about every decade. Funny thing she lives here in California, I don't know why she didn't ship the mare home for breeding.  We have one apricot tree in the pasture, but I think it's dying and it'll be removed. My horses like to eat apricots, but I take the pit out first.   Again thank you for all of your knowledgeable advice.    Beth Glover