Re: Black Walnut - Wild Cherry

My understanding of the wild cherry is that it is only dangerous in a wilted stage when it apparently releases cyanide.  Fresh leaves or dry ones don't seem to be a problem.

Another tree that fits this description is - the peach tree.   I read of two little girls "making tea" with peach leaves and dropping dead.   When my horse completely devoured a small peach tree, I panicked and called my vet---who told me if the horse were going to die, it'd "be dead by now"---and told me the same thing as about the wild cherry--the toxin is cyanide-related and is released when the leaves wilt.

Claudia
Texas