RE: Old Timers

Annie,
During the Les Car & Trilby Pederson "Mileage War", approximately 1987-88, there was no rule that said U cudn't enter more than one event in a day.... in fact, the abuse of this idea is what prompted the creation of that rule.  Either les and/or trilby made an art of flying from coast to coast/100 miler to 50 miler to multiday to 100 miler..... .leasing a horse or horses from the locals or ride managers, starting the ride maybe with the other riders, maybe late... (depended on the rides proximity to an airport), & the local limousine service as well.... then when they had completed the first 50 or 100, they wud start another horse.  In some cases they were able to persuade the ride manager to start the clock again when they started the 2nd horse, or when they arrived "late".  This prompted the rule about having to be present when the ride started.

For really ancient history.... Courtney Hart I believe was the first one to actually do two 50 mile rides in one day... just to test the system... no one said anything, so as Trilby's coach he encouraged her to do it, then Les followed suit, but,... maybe it was the other way around... that's been a few years, memory's getting fragmented. There may have been others that did this... but I personally know of those two going at it.

If you had two fast horses & rest periods weren't exceptionally long... this was not a hard thing to do.  Too bad they changed the rule.... be a great way to get a lot of miles on different horses.....  ;-)

Darolyn Butler-Dial  & Mark Dial  (COWBOY)

             CYPRESS TRAILS EQUESTRIAN CENTER & HORSEMAN VIDEO SHOWCASE

             Proven Endurance Horses for Sale or Lease.

Adventure Trail Rides * Boarding * Training*Lessons *Parties

Represents:   Sharon Saare Saddles, Professional Choice, Advanced Biological Concepts,  & KM (Human Electrolytes)

ADVOCATE :THE WHOLE HORSE TRIM (Barefootin")

21415 Cypresswood Dr.  Humble, Texas 77338

        Ph:  281 446 7232    Fax 281 446 0113  Toll Free (800) 228 8768

      e mail: darolyn@swbell.net         http://home.swbell.net/darolyn/