Help! Back injury - sacroiliac (sp?)

Hi all:

Any one have any suggestions for mending an injury to the sacroiliac area of
the horse (for those of you like me who have NO CLUE where that is it is
behind the saddle, sort of over the kidneys and up the croup both sides of
the spine).

This horse is 5 yrs old, has done very little work, the vet is not sure what
the soreness or injury is from but he is very sore to palpation in that area
and is slightly off on both hinds when trotted on a circle in both directions.

The only recommendation for treatment or therapy I have gotten so far is to
inject cortisone into his spine with a six inch needle! Doesn't sound like a
good plan to me. He has been resting in his pasture for 14 days, getting 1
gram of bute per day and he is still slightly off and still sore to palpation.

I would like to do some kind of therapy with him, stretches, pole work,
bending, anything other than letting him stand around not getting any better.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica

http://www.napanet.net/~jessicat/home.html
The Wine Country Endurance Rides
HorseBums - Rump Covers
Horses for Sale on the Web!

Jessica Tuteur
Ride Manager Wine Country 30/50
HorseBums - Rump Covers for the Distance Horse
1393 Green Valley Rd.
Napa, CA 94558
(707) 258-1937 tel & fax