Re: RC: Leases?

Rhonda:

What this woman wants to do is very common in my neck of the woods (New
England), however, she won't allow what goes along with it.  What you
basically do is go through the prepurchase part up to and including paying
for the horse.  You have had the horse vetted so you know what condition the
horse is in before it is taken off the property.  You also have full payment
in hand.  What she gets is that she can return the horse for a full refund
within a specified time (usually 2 weeks) if the horse isn't what she wants.
  It also allows her to see the horse in her environment.

BIG RED FLAGS - She won't let you come see her place!!! I would walk away
from her on that alone.  I own four horses and keep in touch with the
previous owners of three of them.  Two of the previous owners have come to
visit the horses, one I plan to invite to see the first time I compete in
endurance near her home in Maine.  One of the owners has first right of
refusal if I sell her (will NEVER happen, she's here to stay).

Carolyn Burgess