its not whoa its ho.

carla lawson robcarla@bellsouth.net
Well I decided to take my butt and get some riding lessons in. My first
professional lessons,
I felt wayyyy out of place. esp on top of someone elses horse that was
about 5 ft higher than
the one I was used to. Well for starters I got on all wrong..okay...quick
fix. Noooo problem it
works better anyway...I thought man I am really screwed up.. I can't even
mount properly. She
really explained a ton to me about it. It made alot of sense. point my toe
paralell (sp) to the
horses shoulder. Nooo prob..cross the reins over into jockey position and
use more mane. Okay
were in the saddle. After about three unsuccessful attempts.. I finally
get up to the mounting
block. Man this horse is tall! The horse is a teacher...he litterally
stops if you just aren't getting
things right. And he has this look that says "Mom get this idiot off my
back she doesn't know what
the hell she is doing." But the guy patiently lets me learn.
I am posting trots and working diagonals..I am using my legs correctly for
the first time.. I was
soooo screwed up.
I finish lesson one and I don't ride again for four days which is on a
Sunday. Sunday,I rode Ansata
 we decided to ride to the local dairy bar and get ice cream. We take
several back roads to get there its about
3 miles from the house. I feel my seat is better at this time. But we
encounter much spooking. So
we slowly make it home with out serious incident.
Lesson two.
I take Ansata with me after my instructor tells me too. She is trying to
sell her lesson horse. She
wants to give lessons with people and thier own horses. After talking to
me she insists that it would be
a good idea to let Ansata out into the riding ring so that the new area
will not cause her to spook as
badly when we are doing our lesson.
I honestly begin to comunicate with my horse!! I am asking her to move
over and she responds! I felt
so wonderful! She moved off my leg and rein. And she is telling me..."Mom
you are learning!!"
But we slowly begin to tire after an hour of lessons. Ansata told me
several times she was growing tired
of the consistant circle by looking for stuff to do. " oh horses...oh
colts... eww look at the puppies!"
We have came a long distance in one hour.
Monday comes a test...Robert and I are looking at some property near the
house so we saddle up to
go ride it. Ansata looks but doesn't go for the all out stopping spook..
mom is prepared just a little in
what to do..hello focus on me and pay attention to me! We make it home in
one piece and I haven't lost
my cool with her..in fact...the only tears I had were those of complete
joy.. I was truly begining to
bond with her. She stood up under the shade tree and let me braid her
mane, allowed me to rub all
over her face. and cuddle her.
Ansata my sweet horse....I am sorry...Mom just didn't know what the hell
she was doing...But she is
learning....Wow... she even sees some dressage in the not so distant
future!!
Thanks for the advice RCers!!!!!
Carla (I won't turn into a dressage queen I promise!)
Ansata (its about damn time!)
Haley (mmmm maybe she can show dad some things!)
Rob (its worth it to not see you cry anymore....)