Re: Fly Collars

Hi Dorothy -

I have found that the collars are more effective against the
blackflies/gnats and mosquitoes. Early in the season, they work great, but
once the big guns get airborne, about the best thing to use is a .22!

I've been trying lots of different things this year, as it is a very heavy
year for the greenheads, deer flies, and the big black horse flies in my
neck of the woods (near Buffalo, NY). They are ruthless! Luckily, the kids
are inside during the day, but it is d*** hard to ride right now, unless you
start out about  4am.

I've been trying out combinations of different sprays, the collars, Bounce
fabric softener sheets, and now I'm being diligent about giving them grain
with garlic and cider vinegar in it. And I think I've hit on what looks like
a winning combo, but it does include a spray. Hopefully, the cider vinegar
and garlic should kick in soon. I've even entertained the idea of riding in
fly sheets for them, and a bug netting for my helmet!

Good Luck -

Cheryl in WNY
Horse kids Kit, Bobby & Dani

Subject: RC: Fly Collars