Slowing down canter...help!

Kelly Winsco toast131@yahoo.com
Ok, this might take a while to explain...here goes...

I've had my horse, Slim, for 2 1/2 years now..but our progress is pretty
much at a stand-still now. When I got him he was very thin and had rain
rot all over him. The whole first year was mainly getting him healthy
again (worming, teeth floating, shots, all that great stuff). This also
gave me time to calm him down some..since he'd been neglected he was
pretty jumpy, so he had to learn to be tied (went through lots of snaps
;p), and he learned I'm the one leading him, not the other way around. We
then moved to a different barn and began riding more and more, mostly
trails, and a few shows. I've always wanted to try Endurance rides, but
never seriously considered it until recently. My horse is a mad man in the
ring. He seems perfectly normal at the walk/trot, but when you ask him to
canter, whoosh, he's off.. He just wont slow down. My sister (much better
rider than me) suggested I canter him in circles to try and slow him
down...he went just as fast, and it was just twice as scary ;p. Then we
decided to canter in large circles until Slim wanted to slow down...this
is when i realized what great  shape he's in, and that endurance might be
great for us..we must have cantered for almost 30 minutes
straight...buuut, no slowing down, tiring, anything. He wasnt even
breathing hard.. So even though it's convinced me that my horse can handle
more then i think he can and really got me interested in finding stuff out
about endurance...he still tears around..my family cant afford to get a
professional to help us, so any suggestions/help anyone has would be
really appreciated. Thanks for listening to me ramble on! -Kelly W

-Oh yeah, I've learned a ton reading all these articles and I think I'm
going to try endurance. But I'm only 15..so that would mean I'd need a
sponsor, right? I'm still a little lost about the rules and stuff... I
live in Georgia, in Gwinnett County...if that helps. I'd like to think I'm
a mature/responsible kid, and if anyone has time and could give me more
info or advice or anything...I'd really appreciate it. Sounds like a real
fun sport. Cant wait to try it. Ok, I'm really going to end this now. :)
Thanks!