Re: Re: Fwd: RC: Re: barefoot horses

----- Original Message -----
From: Lynne Glazer <lynne@glazer.org>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 5:35 PM
Subject: RC: Re: Fwd: RC: Re: barefoot horses

> I've been forwarding posts on this topic to this friend, just by way
> of explaining that he has the entire thread's context--I'm willing to
> keep an open mind, but disagree so strongly with the soaking part
> that I asked Henry to respond:
>

> Hi Lynne -
>
> would you like to write something that I can repost there?
> Sheesh... .sure... <g>
>
> First, let me say Angie and Heidi - right on!  Robyn, I think you
> have some misconceptions.
>
> >>Soaking the feet with water and apple cider vinegar ( 1 gal water to 1
cup
> >>of apple cider vinegar) 15 minutes a day, does wonders for the barefoot
(or
> >>shod foot) hoof that chips
> >>easily or has cracks. The apple cider vinegar neutrilizes the foot,and
helps
> >>to keep the foot more pliable.
>
> I haven't tried this, but it might actually help.  The most
> destructive thing to hooves is alkali (ammonia in urine) which will
> dissolve the intertubular horn and leave you with a weak, hairy hoof
> wall.

You are absolutely correct that ammonia destoys protein. The hoof is
protein. Apple Cider Vinegar is a neutralizer. It NEUTRALIZES the foot.  I
never suggested soaking the feet in mud or diseased water as some people
have interpreted. It is so amazing how posts on Ride Camp can become so
grossly distorted from is original intent. What I was suggesting is very
specific. I am simply giving advice on something that I have tried for a
couple years (and several other friends all over the country has tried) with
nothing more than superior results. My horses feet are absolutely beautiful.
They are conditioned several miles a day barefoot over various terrian,
gravel, asphalt and , they have no chipping or cracking since their feet
have been exposed to water/ apple cider vinegar  every day. Their feet are
much more tougher and healthier . Don't knock soaking the horse's feet in
apple cider vinegar/water till you try it. I promise you that you will see a
difference.

> >>You'd be absolutely amazed at how much the
> >>feet soak up (especially around the coronet band).
>
> The periople will absorb moisture and swell at the coronet, but hoof
> wall is hardly absorbent.

This is exactly why I said it is important to soak the feet up to the
coronet band.

> >>Another alternative, at
> >>the bare minimum, is digging out a water pool around the horse's water
tub
> >>so their feet can soak ( the pool needs to be deep up enough to cover
the
> >>coronet band) while they take a drink. You can use sand or small peddles
> >>prevent the pool from becoming muddy. You want to try to mimic that of
> >>horse that stands in a river or pond to drink.
> >>Most people do not realize the extreme importance pysiologically,and for
the
> >>optimum health of the feet to soak.
> >>Think about this for a minute. Wild living horses spend some time each
day
> >>in a body of water. The horses do not go into the water because they
know
> >>their hooves need to absorb moisture: they go into the water to drink.
While
> >>there  they cool off, play, etc. The exposure of the hooves to water is
> >>side effect, but one which the hooves have been accustomed to (and
dependant
> >>upon) over millions of years. The absorption of water prevents the
hooves
> >>from drying out and keeps them elastic and supple.
>
> A few minutes a day of standing in clean water will not harm, nor
> help hooves.  Hooves are designed to not be absorbent and have a
> varnish-like layer (the stratum tectorium) on the outside of the hoof
> wall to repel moisture.
>
> >>In the hoof , the horn containing the most water (frog, bulb, white
line)
> >>dries out the easiest and the quickest. If the white line dries out, it
> >>loses volume: that is it shrinks, contracting the whole foot with it.
(For
> >>example, a slice of hoof trimmed off by nippers will within a matter of
> >>days, shrink to virtually half it's size.) Lack of water also causes
> >>decreased hoof elasticity, which also hampers hoof mechanism.
>
> Yes, you'll notice when a piece of trimmed hoof wall dries up it
> curls up tightly.  That is because the inner portion of the wall is
> much more moist than the outside layer and so it has more moisture to
> lose.  As it loses the moisture it becomes smaller and smaller on the
> inside causing the trimming to curl.  This moisture gradient is
> essential for the hoof to have elasticity, or spring.  If you
> moisturize the outside of the hoof wall the hoof wall will lose its
> elasticity and act like mush rather than a spring.  All the moisture
> the hoof needs comes from the circulation inside.  Hooves in desert
> conditions do just fine.  The strongest, toughest, healthiest, and
> most resilient  hooves I've ever seen were in Florida towards the end
> of a 9 month drought.
>
> People whose hands are constantly in water (dishwashers, bar tenders,
> fish handlers) will tell you very plainly that constant soaking or
> moisturizing nails is not good for them.  This is far more important
> to the horse who has to walk on his nails.

I think again that the point is missed entirely. I never suggested CONSTANT
soaking. Of course too much of anything is not good. I suggested 15 minutes
a day in hoof boots or making a pond around the horse's water tub. Let me
repeat there is also a specific way to make the tub to avoid mud. Horse's
don't spend much more than 15 minutes a day standing around the water tub
anyhow.

> >>  I suppose if daily exposure to water was not so important to the
horse's
> >>feet, then the horse would have been designed differently . . perhaps
with
> >>rubber feet.
> >>Robyn
>
> Horses hooves are designed much differently than you think.

I guess if you saw my horses feet you'd think that I am not too far off.
See ya out on the trail.

Respectfully,

Robyn