Re: barefoot horses

Hi Angie & List -

I am in complete agreement with you, at least in my little area <g>. I have
never (there's that "n" word again) seen soaking to have any benefits other
than the horse having goodies to munch on to keep him occupied while he/she
is soaking. I have never tried massaging conditioner into the band, but I
have thought about it from time to time.

Remember me writing about Dani's chipped and vertically cracked front feet a
ways back? Well, I did start her on the Paragon Biotin Plus (thanks S.G.),
but to be honest, I just haven't been consistant with it (I have to feed
grain to mix it with, and I really don't have any need to feed them any).
So, I ran out of grain a while ago, and just now started up with it again,
mostly so the biotin doesn't go to waste ($35/tub).

I think what has helped in Dani's case is the dryness, firm ground, the best
basic diet she's probably had all her life, and time, in addition to
moderate exercise and pulled shoes. The big monster cracks are almost ground
level now, they will come off at next trim, and those QH halter cat feet are
startin' to look like they can actually hold her 1300 lbs. up now. She is
not ouchy at all anymore, and she was quite a bit in the past. S.G. said I
would see improvements in the sole first, and she was right. I kept watch
and records, it took about a month or so.

Could it take as long as two+ years for prior damage to right itself? She is
so much more comfortable now than she has been since I got her.

I see there being more damage due to constant  wet/dry on the hoof wall,
from soaking and then drying out.
Our ground is gravel, very well drained (the kids are surrounded by alfalfa
fields - yum <g>) and with lots of stones and rocks. They york rake it from
time to time, but the wind just ends up blowing away the loose dirt and
exposing more rocks.

Cheryl in WNY
Horse Kids Kit, Bobby & Dani

Because the moisture comes
>from inside.  What dries my hands out the worst?  Washing them too often.
> Do I always use soap?  No.

>I have a pond in my field.  Thank goodness my horses stay out of it.

 The hooves split bottem to top all
>the way around and it had gone deep>I guess there may be instances where
the moisture would help.

I have been known to massage hoof cream into the coronary band, but I don't