soaking

I use Davis Poultice Boots (water and ACV) to soak because I do believe it makes a difference.  I recall reading an email from someone who had just been soaking one of her horses hooves because of an injury, and saw such a difference in hoof quality that she started soaking them all.

So anyone who is interested could do a 1 horse study (at least they have 4 hooves) and just soak one for a month or two and see if there is a difference, no need to argue about this.

The boots cost about $20 each.  I can soak all 4 of my pony's at once and she stands calmly.  It took a few weeks to get my arab used to the routine (its not the boots that are so scary, but hearing the water in them when he moves).   Now he naps while I soak the fronts, I can soak them while tacking up.  I soaked him 1 hr the other day while I braided his mane, I laughed that he was getting his hair and nails done (something I've never done :)   )

That clay can be drying makes sense.  I also just think its hard to get horses to stand in water that much, even around a trough their hinds are dry.  My pony splashes in the trough and makes her own mud to stand and roll in (I think she's just interested in the rolling part, tho).  But my arab would rather not get his hooves yucky, and avoids mud (but he is well behaved when riding thru mud/water).  So even when I tried flooding around the trough, he would stretch and maybe put one hoof in the mud for a minute or two.  And I have no interest in discouraging him from drinking!

I do recommend starting with the fronts first if anyone decides to try this.

Kathy