Re: RC: Sore back

In a message dated 7/5/01 2:25:47 PM Central Daylight Time, LynOlds@aol.com
writes:

Anyway, now my horse's back is sore and I am wondering if maybe he pulled
something. I have called the chiropractor who said he would come out to
adjust him as soon as the soreness was gone.

I would hope that the Chiro suggested ways to help the soreness.
If this were my horse. I would suspect a couple of things went wrong.
Assuming he had his rear leg caught forward and was trying to re-tract it
back, he may have strained his hamstrings, gluteals and erector group along
the spine. The CTR Vet should have noticed if he was lame, and if he was sore
on both sides of the back or only on one side. I would suspect he would be
sore on both sides given the incident you mentioned and the riding with an
need to compensate. The other suspect is you are riding off to one side. Look
at how he stands. If he's rotated an illia on the side that got stuck he'll
with that leg forward, the point of the butt on that side will be lower.
(using the hamstrings to pull the leg back with the foot stuck forces all of
the movement to the illia and sacrum. A hamstring pull would show up as
lameness.).
Anyway, if it were my horse I'd want to get the heat out of the back, ice,
ice towels... and gentle compressions to get the blood moving.
A call to a DVM if the Chiro isn't one, is really in order here.
regards

Jim Pascucci
Advanced Certified Rolfer
www.equinesi.com