4th of July and barefoot

Hi all,

We live outside of Flagstaff, AZ - not in sight of any fireworks displays.  But last night we had an incredible lightening storm, biggest in 2 or 3 years.  It put fireworks to shame, but I was relieved when it was over and found everyone to be safe (and no fires burning close, although I did smell smoke after 1 strike....).  I think my animals are fortunate not to have to endure the terror of those fireworks - lightening is bad enough!

re: training endurance for barefoot and ideal footing.

I think the ideal footing for conditioning for barefoot is really rocky stuff, because horses will adapt to it and then be able to compete better on more types of terrain.  Many in the natural horse movement are hauling rocks into their paddocks to help harden up their horses hooves.  I'm lucky to have plenty already, in fact I'm moving back all the ones I took out before I knew better!

I am actively training my horse to compete barefoot in endurance, although I use hoofboots when needed and am careful not to over-do.  He is doing well, and I can ride him bf 50% of the time, although we've only been doing this for 7 mos.  I never use anything on his hinds, and that doesn't bother him a bit.  And no (to even my surprise) he doesn't wear the hind hooves down too much - they are incredibly hard and still need to be trimmed a bit.  Currently I ride 30 miles a week, all rocky stuff.

My biggest challenge is waiting until his poor pinched heels de-contract.  I think any discomfort he has is related to heel pain (vs soles hurting on rocks).  His soles are so hard my trimmer went thru a new roto-zip bit just doing his fronts last trim (no, it wasn't a hard metal bit, just a 3$ one he uses for doing touch-ups and light sole paring).

I recently received an entry for a new ride in NM.  I was disappointed to see they are requiring horses to be "well-shod" and recommending pads in addition even tho they state that the ride isn't terribly rocky.  Guess that won't work for us, although I would be happy to ride with hoofboots if required.  The Old Macs are working well and don't fall off or require that messy foam/glue!

Kathy