Re: RC: What do you carry?

In a message dated Wed, 4 Jul 2001 12:27:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Cheryl" <mskit@utec.net> writes:

<< What else does everyone carry?  >>

As little as possible!  When conditioning, I am rarely more than a couple of hours from home or rig, and on a ride, one is rarely more than a dozen miles or so from civilization.  Might be uncomfortable for awhile when things go awry, but it isn't like one is out in the middle of nowhere.

<<  First aid >>

None.  If I am bleeding badly, I can utilize clothing, etc. to stop it.  Otherwise, I am either a Life Flight candidate, or whatever is wrong, I can survive it for a couple of hours.

<< Survival stuff >>

None, unless you count my pocket knife--but it is sort of all-purpose.  Again, I'm not far enough out when riding that I'll starve to death if I'm caught out.  Or unless you count hat, gloves, and jacket, either on spring or fall/winter rides, or sometimes on late loops of 100's.  But I have yet to have to kill my food, skin it, cook it, or build a log shelter while conditioning or competing...

<< Drinks (brand of beer for you, Howard   <g>)  >>

Water, water, water.  Occasionally something with a bit of juice to it.

<<Extras (good luck charms,   etc.) >>

Again, as little as possible.  Maybe an Easyboot, depending on horse and terrain.

<< Food       >>

Very little.  A granola bar.  Maybe an apple.  Maybe some hard candies.  Again, if there is a vet check every 12-15 miles, I can send stuff ahead--and hey, I don't eat any more often than that at home when I'm working, either (or at least I try not to) so why should I at a ride?  I try to eat well the night before and pre-start.  And I try to eat at the checks, while my horse is also eating.

I often think we make this way more complicated than we have to.

Heidi

PS:  Middle age is causing me to occasionally tuck in a bit of Kleenex or toilet paper...

PPS:  I do carry more gear when we are out in the winter.  Fanny pack then has candle, lighter, matches, tinder, a few more granola bars, a couple of candy bars, one juice in a reuseable container, nylon cord, and a space blanket.  Given that, I can most likely survive all but the most brutal of nights out, although I won't like it very much.  By far the best "tools" in an emergency are outdoor skills and a cool head.