Re: RC: Whacking a horse between the ears

>I had always heard that hitting a horse between the ears was a bad thing to
>do also. (Actually, many years ago I broke a bone in my hand doing that on
>my
>young sons very bad pony).
>
>About 10 yrs. ago I had a gelding who would rear occasionally when he
>spooked
>at something unseen in the bushes. One day he did that and hit a tree branch
>right between the ears. Perfect timing... he never reared again and I had
>nothing to do with it.
>
>Bonnie
>So. Calif.

My stepdaughter cured her gelding of rearing with less danger to his poll
or a human hand.  He had gotten really bad about it (dumping me at a parade
, besides), so she just held a water balloon in her hand while she worked
him.  He reared, she popped the water balloon between his ears -- he never
reared again.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky