RE: Re: Barefoot/Strasser/fads...

We have lots of "wild" creatures around and plenty of people who are living
fairly wild as well. This is one of the advantages of living in a country
where lots of it is still in the 18th century. No one living "in the wild"
lasts as long as the pampered domesticated types. Our feral dogs in the
desert have at least 2 litters a year, but the population stays pretty
steady and the dogs don't look like anything you'd want to pop into the back
of your car. Most working horses here are lucky to make it to 15, not 26 or
so like some of the cared for horses.  All that said, I have all my horses
barefoot partly because we have such awful farriers and partly because I
don't work them horrendous distances and speeds (no time these days)...but
we have good soil for them. Our desert is relatively soft sand and I find
that they still need more than monthly trimming. Not all horses do well
barefoot here however and mine get a biotin supplement...which you can be
sure that no "wild" horse is going to get.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
maryanne@ratbusters.net
www.ratbusters.net

I'm not so sure I want to get caught up in this natural, "in the wild" type
of thinking, where we start believing that's better than domestication.  To
me, that's like comparing camping in the woods, sleeping on the ground, with
no running water, electric or toilet, to living in my house, with the
AC/Heat, shower/bath, kitchen/fridge and king sized mattress.  I think I'll
live longer and stay healthier in my house then out in the woods.  I know
I'll smell better and be happier.

cya,
Howard