Myler Bits

Hi All -

Just looking for some lighter conversation. Who amongst us all uses these bits, for how long, and have any improvements/changes been noticed? What do you like/dislike about them? Or bits in general? Has anyone attended a Myler clinic? Which types do you use? I'll start -

1. I have three Myler bits (two snaffles and a curb), and a Myler double ring mechanical hackamore.
2. I purchased the first one two years ago - "comfort snaffle" w/ hooks.
3. I like the curve of the mouthpiece and the hooks - gives more tongue room and makes it easier for them to swallow. The hooks give the bit more versatility for headstall and rein attatchment. I really love the independant side movement, too.
4. I dislike them being a bit $$$, but that equals out in craftsmanship and comfort to the horse. So that is really a moot point. I did buy one on sale, tho and saved $25.
5. Changes I've seen/felt - Softer through the face (they weren't too bad before, but now they are even more relaxed). They can really feel a super light signal from my hands. It's very cool.
6. I attended a Myler clinic last weekend, and went both days. It was very informative about bits and horeses mouths in general. I had some questions about something I wanted to use for Bobby, and got the info I needed. I would like to show him in trail class, but he has only worn a bit a couple years. He's ten now and has been going in a sidepull or rope halter for five years straight, so I'm putting him to their combo bit as a bridge from sidepull to snaffle. It's a heck of a lot less bulky than a conventional sidepull/snaffle rig. I'm glad I talked to Dale first, as he did recommend a different mouthpeice (save me $$$).

Altogether in my tackroom, I have about ten bits. I dug 'em all out! I don't use tiedowns, draw reins, side reins or martingales.

I use a bit sometimes when riding in the ring, hardly ever when on the trail, but I've been getting the "show" bug, and "fine tuning" myself and the kids. I want to go show off my trail horses a little bit, we have lots of local shows around here.

I figured maybe we could lighten up the list a little, while all the facts about the recent unfortunate happenings are being assembled and sorted out.

Ok - Your turn!

Cheryl in WNY
Horse kids Kit, Bobby & Dani