Re: Stallion Behavior (Long)

Hi, Jim

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

>>I believe that during the two years or so of conditioning required to
endurance ride, you should spend as much time conditioning the horse's mind
as you do his body.<,

I think this is true of most disciplines.

>>In order to prevent this behavior, you and your horse must first be in
total agreement that you are the unequivocal herd leader and will rip the
meat off his bones (figuratively speaking, of course) if he looks crosseyed
at you. When he
is misbehaving on the trail, he is ignoring your "herd leader" status. <<

Hmm....Toc is a dominant git, but generally doesn't cross me if I lay down
the law.  As I said, I've restricted him to using very bad equine language
(when I'm on board) but it bothers me that he still does this.  He is also
aggressive in his paddock, and can't share and I'm not always around to
correct him (if he tries to go for another horse, and I go "uh-uh!" (this
sounds far more aurthoritative than it writes), he will stop immediately)

>You need to recruit some of your friends and practice the stuff below on a
trail where you have plenty of room to maneuver.  I am assuming you have
taught your horse to turn on hind/fore, sidepass, back, etc. You can just
ask him to stand.  You must give him "work to do". <

Yes, he does all of this.  Unfortunately, my friends are a little too aware
of Toc's aim (he once landed a hoof on a neighbouring horse's crest from
about a metre to the side of him...I still can't figure out how he did it).
That's why I recruited some Polo Crosse buddies.    But, I have some friends
coming for an outride on 9 August who don't know him, so maybe I can con
them into this (Kristene : don't say a word!)

>First you set up the undesirable behavior, such as having another horse
trot by you. When his attention focuses off you and on the other horse,
immediately give him the "ainnnt" word and go into a rapid repertoire of
sidepassing, backing, turning, etc. In other words, work his butt off for a
couple of minutes until he is willing to stand quietly, then move on down
the trail. He will just HATE to do this!>

That's where I'm going wrong, I'm going "uh-UH", getting his attention back
on me, but not working him afterwards.

>You can use also use this to teach your horse to stand and allow another
horse to "leave him" on the trail.  It's all based on the principle that you
have taught your horse how to do the moves and that you are a STRONG herd
leader.  You must have his respect.>

He's okay about being left.  He's never been much of a follower.  Sometimes
he'll throw a minor hissy fit, but this isn't really a huge problem.

>He can be herd leader when you aren't there if he wants to.

I just wish he weren't so bloody tyrannical in his leadership methods!

>I prefer horses with good dispositons for Endurance.....easier to
teach..and I would worry about the danger to my friends and their horses at
a ride. Sounds like Toc's attitude is not the best for Endurance because of
the large opportunity for inadvertent "close encounters".<

I'm starting to think that maybe he's going to turn into one of the
best-schooled, most multi-talented and good-looking pleasure horses around!

>Be careful out there, he can hurt you also when he's taking out his
aggression on other horses and not paying attention.<

Agreed.

Thanks, Jim, I'm going to try the working his butt off method.

Tracey