Fly Traps

Hi Ridecampers;   We are having a heat spell here in Southern Calif. and a couple weeks ago it was cool, and rainy.  The result is an explosion in fly activity.  I have a whole bunch of fly traps hung out, and I've made some observations.   The flytrap I hung in a very shady area is empty.  The fly traps I hung very low, (3 feet) are nearly empty.  The fly traps I hung about 7 or 8 feet up, filled up in less than a week. One started to fillup in four hours!!!  My fly predators are not working well, does anyone know if fly predators will go into a fly trap? (Yikes! there goes $100 dollars! Another $100 dollar mistake)   I am also wondering...it's like the chicken and the egg quandry.  Am I having more flies because I have more stinky fly traps, or  are the fly traps just catching the flies that are already there?   I don't use chemical sprays, except the usual fly spray on the horses. No garden sprays.  Occasionally I use Golden Malrin Bait, but I worry about our other pets getting it.  Anybody have problems with that happening?   I am wondering if I should back off on the fly traps, or buy more later.  (All the stores in this area are sold out!)    Beth