Re: MALIBU RIDE AND TRAIL INCIDENT

Several years ago my daughter and I were on a smaller 50.  We were on the
afternoon loop and cruising along at a moderate pace, having fun.  We were
walking along on a long, hard downilll, a lady with two kids came bombing by
at a fast trot.  Both kids were complaining their legs hurt and they wanted
to walk, but this lady didn't listen. We came into a vet check, and pulsed
down faster than them..  We headed off, walking, and heard the lady remark
that now my daughter was in front for first junior in (we hadn't even
worried about this).  We kept walking, to warm up again after the vet
check.....and 10 minutes later she came bombing by again.  Shortly
thereafter, she lost trail and went the wrong way.  My daughter and I yelled
at her to let her know we had found the flags (to help), but she ignored us.
We continued on at our pace, now trotting and gained some time.....but 10
minutes later she galloped by us again.
Their horses looked tired and kids were complaining again.....my daughter
and I discussed that if we WANTED to, we could probably beat them, since our
horses were still raring to go, but we  had comitted to riding our own ride
and taking it easy, so that is what we did......

This lady with the juniors came in ahead of us and her daugher for an award
for first junior in-----they hadn't even stuck around to pick it up.  They
had come in late the day before, and parked right next to the vet-in area,
which had been flagged.  After the ride, they just loaded up tired horses
and left. Poor sportmanship all around.  At the lunch vet check, the lady
was a holy terror, hollering at her husband who was tyring to crew and help.

It would have been nice if my daughter could have been first junior in, but
what was better was all the fodder for discussion this lady gave us!  We
talked for hours about sportmanship and pushing horses, pacing them, and
then, just having fun and not worrying about placement....and not being
tempted to "race."  At that stage in our endurance experience (and still
now), we have no business racing!
But, i don't think this lady did either!

Later on, I heard one of the daughters finished a prestigious, hard ride.  I
always wondered if she really wanted to do it, or was pushed by this
mom.....

Karen