Re: MALIBU RIDE AND TRAIL INCIDENT

As a regional director, albeit west, not Pacific South, I would suggest to Karyne Z. that she ban the offending rider from her events for at least a trial period, or possibly permanently....for misconduct.  It's one thing to set a poor example for the juniors under her sponsorship, but it's a very serious thing to jeopardize the future of endurance rides for the whole region.  We are all faced with possible exclusion from parks.  There are folks who would dearly love to ban horses from the face of the earth...to get them out of backyards, out of parks, off trails.  We mustn't allow one inconsiderate person to ruin what privileges we tentatively have by such behavior. Something to consider........

Barbara McCrary

----- Original Message -----
From: beth glover
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 7:55 AM
Subject: RC: MALIBU RIDE AND TRAIL INCIDENT

Hi Debbie; I'm sorry to hear that this happened. This ride is in my neck of the woods, and it is always scary to have problems in the Southern California area, it means another riding area can be lost!  Already at Chino Hills State Park, they will not allow an endurance ride (we are told by the rangers).  They have a fear of exactly the incident that you mentioned, and they have a large and active bicyclist population.  They will allow a NATRC ride to happen because they know it is a timed ride, and they watch us like hawks.  So far so good. It's really a shame though, Chino hills is a great place to get some miles.   I hope the sponsor of the junior will read these posts, but I'll bet you even if they did, they wouldn't realize it was themselves. Some people are real slow to catch on, or never do.     Yours, Beth