Re: RC: Kanopolis Report

I was there for the 25 mile ride.  Thirty riders started the 25 and only 9
received completions.  Of those 9, only 6 finished in the time allowed.  One
rider finished within an hour of the original completion time.  Ride
management allowed an hour and a half extension in order to allow two more
riders (one a very young junior rider) to get completions for the 25.  I
thought that was good because this junior only looked like she was 6 or 7
years old, and just worked her butt off.  Cooled her own horse and trotted
him out and everything.

I did this ride three weeks ago and we were diverted that time from the
regular trails due to flooding, also.  Because of the diversion, we did one
20 mile loop and one five mile loop.  I compared the ride maps, and the 20
mile loop we did three weeks ago was SHORTER than the "15 mile" loop we did
yesterday.  One of the workers said I was the only one complaining about the
length being wrong and said that no time extensions were going to be granted
because management was sure of the mileage.  That left me with an hour and a
half to do "ten" miles that was more like 15 miles according to my other ride
map.  My horse could probably do it, but this was just a training/fun ride
for us, so I pulled.  I was told that 11 riders in the 25 miler pulled after
the first loop.  All of the 25 mile riders that I was riding with had already
gone out on the second loop before management decided to extend the time for
completion.  So, at least three riders cut trail when they knew they were
overtime and came on in, not knowing that the time had been extended and they
could still earn completions.

On the plus side, I learned the knack for keeping my horse in the fox-trot
even when she's being obnoxious, and she was marginally less of a lunatic
than at our other rides.  Also, ride management made check-in and vetting a
breeze.  There were at least three vets available all of the time and very
minimal time standing in lines.  There was a lot of water at the vet checks
and they kept refilling it regularly.  All in all, I learned a lot and I love
riding in this canyon!

Rhonda