Bad Boy Genetics

Title: Bad Boy Genetics

Okay – here is my take on the genetics issue:

A horse that has a good disposition is wonderful and that is a trait to pass on (given all the other PHYSICAL parameters

are wonderful, too).

If a horse has a stinky disposition, that is a point against breeding them, but that isn’t necessarily the whole story.

My gelding’s sire, Joust,  placed 3rd  in his class at Halter at Scottsdale after charging Mike Neal.  I wasn’t there, but my ex

was there.  He said that Mike Neal was nagging at him and that Joust just isn’t a horse to take all that nagging (like
some men, huh?)  But what people remember is that Joust has a terrible disposition.  Anyone seeing him today
would probably also think that he has a terrible disposition.  This is a high energy horse that needs to have a job
and he’s just wasting away in a pen, not being ridden at all, at a place with tons of broodmares and two other stallions.

He is just totally frustrated with sensory deprivation and just having food thrown at him twice a day.  You move him
Into the barn he just wants to tear up the barn because he’s so frustrated with his life.  Meanwhile, people that
have Joust babies usually hang on to them as pets because of their personalities.

I rode this horse.  He’s a dream when he’s worked regularly.  When he’s not he’ll test you.

My mare, his daughter, is like that.  But she’s incredibly beautiful, athletic and very, very smart like her dad.
Too high maintenance for my taste, but given a real “job” like being an arena queen, she would just probably
totally thrive on it.  She’s an in your pocket type of horse and would probably just eat it up.  Still worth breeding
even though she can be a big pain in the behind.  She’s not dangerous… with the right handling…..  Giving
her to a beginner would be a big mistake –she was my first “big mistake” and we barely survived each other.
But she’s a fun trail horse once I got the hang of staying in the saddle without wrecking her sensitive mouth!
Very agile and probably would have been a great x-country horse judging by the way she would clear the
wide streambeds from a total standstill and stick the landing on solid rock! (If I only were an eventing rider!)

My gelding, by the same sire, is generally good natured like his dam.  But watch out – he’s gotten a bit
of the old Wildrose Mariah “bossy” streak (Joust’s dam) that’s been coming out as he gets older.  He “expresses his opinion”

rather quite clearly, and definitely does not get along with certain people – mostly the domineering, aggressive
type of rider.  I’m sure that if Joust was gelded, he would be of this nature, too.  And you know what?  I don’t
mind this a bit in a horse.  Shows intelligence and a certain ability to take care of themselves.  And Beau Joust
“owns” me as much as I own him.

I guess what I am saying is that there might be a strong genetic component to the horses personality,
but how it is expressed can be as much of a nuture thing or a personality conflict thing.  This strong minded,
willful colt may yet turn out to be the most wonderful horse for the right person (who won’t let him get away
with misbehaviour!)

K.