Re: RC: Re: a very bad colt

In a message dated Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:39:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Linda Flemmer <bluewolfranch@yahoo.com> writes:

<< Some horses are hyper sensitive and imprint training
is not for every animal.  By pushing the issue, it may
make him more determined than ever to refuse anything
you ask to do with him.  DO NOT make it a battle. >>

Linda, this is SO true!  I've found with many babies that the less I do with them as babies, the better.  I am a "friendly presence" in the pasture, I bring food, I am approachable and sniffable.  Some want to be pocket horses--some definitely DO NOT as babies.  As weanlings (or sometimes even yearlings) they do an about-face and become tractable and friendly.  Meanwhile, I do what I have to do with them (sufficient restraint to deworm, trim if necessary, etc.)--they don't get away with anything, but they aren't given the opportunity to stage a pitched battle over anything, either.

I'd still reiterate the early gelding bit, too, though--and by EARLY, I mean at under a month of age!

Heidi