Date:  Mon Jun 11, 2001  4:08 am
Subject:  Flooded

Hi All,

Only time for a very quick note as the electricity is probably going down
anytime.  Got back as quick as I could from speaking engagement at TETRA
convention when we heard it was flooding here.

Houston's been truly smashed... got home at 2:30 AM & all horses except for
2 ponies, a four year old, and one unidentified gray, which I didn't spot
until 8;30 this AM were already out.

The cops/firefighters had insisted everyone evac about 1:30 AM... when Mark
& I drove up & found out there were horses still here & the saddles hadn't
been moved up to the deck, we decided to swim out. Mark's leg started
cramping & he went back... I had the swim of my life....literally, The
English Channel will be next... should be a snap...
good thing I used to swim.... trouble is I haven't done much swimming in the
last few years... thanks goodness I've been trimmin' & ridin' a lot & in
pretty good shape & I needed every ounce of it to fight the current & pull
myself along the fence line.

Yes... I did question my sanity a time or so... especially after loading &
floating thru the bunk house (two at a time) dodging floating sofas & bunk
beds all 40 saddles from the tack room... must admit, left 1 stonewall, an
old western & a kids saddle.... did get that ugly skinny cat though... &
twice... she really resisted the boat ride.  Discovered two horses at the N.
end of the house & they seemed content to stand there so I finished doing
the saddles.  The bunk house front door was lodged shut after the piano
floated cracked up & jammed against the front door... got the window up but
couldn't get the screen up so tore it out & had to go in & out the window
those some 25 trips... my legs are goina be bad...  it was daylight by then,
& the horses were shivering,, & the water was deeper.... I laid a strip of
carpet on the deck stairs & (thank God they're both small), led them to the
1st landing.... now please God... don't let me have to lead them all the way
up...

Trying to salvage what I can from the garage... thank goodness there was
some not too wet dog food, it was on something that floated & cat food
too... the horses had dog food for breakfast...

Well, don't call me today or probably tomorrow unless you can bring a boat over
so Mark & help can get here to bring me water & more help & company.

I'm hoping the water doesn't rise too much more & I think I will be safe
enough... but I sure could use a hand & it's much, much too deep to swim now...

Love everyone,
thanks for your calls & concern....
The Unsinkable.
djbd
Darolyn Butler-Dial  & Mark Dial  (COWBOY)
Ph:  281 446 7232    darolyn @ swbell.net
http://home.swbell.net/darolyn/