2001 XP, Day 1

Day one is now history!  What a great day it was too, the start was really
kewl.  It went off like clockwork, no problem.  Everybody just unloaded and
next thing you know we were off!  I even set my GPS, Rocky stopped to pee
and eat some grass and then next thing you know there we were going down
the pony trail!

It rained on us, the sky was dark and ominous.  Most of the footing was
pretty good, sometime later it really rained a lot and the roads all turned
to mucky mud.  The horses did well though, I had four easyboots on mine and
he just motored thru it no problem at all.  The mud here isn't nearly as
slick as the mud where we live, tho the horses with metal shoes were
slipping a lot.  Lots of horses have easyboots on, and they went thru it
really well too -- most of those horses are pretty experienced multiday
horses so I think that has a lot to do with it.  They adapt well.

I rode with several people today, Jim Mitchell and his juniors, Jaime,
Kayla and Troy.  Louise Mahoney, and during the day several people --
Tinker, Sue H., Dorothy Sue, Phyllis B., Jim Baldwin, Clark P., Scott and
Beth....and a few others their names don't all come to mind.  The trail is
the best marked/easiest to follow trail of any ride I've ever done.  The
gps works wonderfully with it.  Besides that, it was marked with white
arrows on all the turns so pretty hard to get lost.  The gps is really
awesome, tho I'm not sure I really care to know exactly how far I've gone,
how far I've got to go and exactly where lunch is.  I don't mind surprises,
but in a way it is pretty neat because it alerts you if you get off trail
so you can't get lost.  And if you do the written directions are so good
you'd have to be blind to miss a turn.

After our lunch check we continued on -- it had rained on us the whole
time, and we were all soaked, or at least our shoes were and anybody who
had gotten off had soaked saddles.  I had a big rain poncho on so my tack
was at least dry.  Rocky was doing well, tho like I said he was pretty
amped.  This was his first ride in six months and he was ready for it.  I
took his S-hack off since it was raining and rode him in a halter.  He was
controllable but reallly wanted to motor thru the mud faster than I wanted,
so we walked thru most of the deep mud. Where the footing was better we
trotted.  It did clear up and I found myself riding in a sweatshirt and it
was hot and felt humid.  I have been being real good and electrolyting a
lot, and using water to keep the horse cooled down.  I was really pleased
to weigh him in at the start at 950, and when he finished todays ride he
weighed exactly 950.  Pretty good, huh?  It was 75 degrees and 76% humidity
when we finished.  So I'm pleased he handled it so well.  Once the
rainstorms stop and it warms up we'll really melt.  But at least he's back
in the ballgame and into the routine again.  Tomorrow is a new horse to
ride, hope he doesn't get rained on as much since he gets pissy about it
blowing in his face.

All in all, it was a great day.  We had a great ride, everybody seemed in
good spirits in spite of the weather.  We are all just happy to be here,
after all the planning and preparations to get here it's just great to be
going down the trail.

Tonight there are several thunderstorm warnings for the area we are in,
with high winds.  I hope it won't keep raining as much every day.  The
horses will all get scratches if they keep getting ridden in this much
wet.  Nevermind that they have been standing in wet mud for the last
several days, well....most of them have.  Those with good crews (me)
<vbg>......are lucky that our horses are not (currently) standing in the
mud.  I have the best crew!!!

I better get off of this.  I doubt this will get sent until next
weekend.  We have almost no cell phone reception here.  The ride meeting
starts in a half an hour, then I've gotta get the horses walked and taken
care of.  Thunder, rain and wind are erupting all about.  Oh boy.  We even
got told what to do in case of a tornado.

Happy XP Trails,

Karen
& Rocky, 1 XP day down  :+)
Photos will be here:  www.endurohorse.com