2001 XP, Day 5

The weather is just gorgeous, and we even had a nice breeze.  Crews were
out with water for us and there were plenty of puddles so I stopped a
couple of times to sponge and Rocky drank well.  He was sure full of it
this morning.  Took photos of some of the historical markers showing that
we were on the Pony Express and Oregon Trails.  Rode along the river, and
thru more cornfields.  Rocky felt great, then when we got to the vet check
he was a bit sore on a front foot. We're not sure if it happened when he
spooked at something or because he has some gravel that worked it's way up
into his foot under the shoe.  So we chose to not continue since it
probably wouldn't have helped anything and hope he will be okay after the
weekend.  Keeping fingers crossed.  I think I'll glue his front boots on
next week, like I did the back ones, then nothing can get in there if we
end up in a lot of mud or wet stuff.

The trail is really nice.  We've ridden thru a lot of wild marijuana, it's
everywhere.  Too bad it's not more mature or we could figure out a way to
pay for the trip. :P

Now we are on our way to Glenville, where we are staying for the
weekend.  We get Sunday and Monday off, so can get things caught up and do
some shopping, laundry and cleaning.  Things are still quite a mess from
all the mud and rain we had.  I'm sure the laundry is about ready for the
toxic waste incinerator.  The ride basecamp is a ways away, but we kinda
wanted to get away from it all.
  Not everybody is getting along, if you know what I mean.

Guess we need to check the dogs over for ticks.  Everybody has been picking
them off, they are everywhere.  We haven't found any so far.  The bugs are
driving the horses nuts out on the trail, with all this moisture there are
tons and tons of flying insects.  I'm still feeling pretty good, not sore
anywhere and definitely looking forward to next week.  Lots of people are
riding half days or taking days off, that's why there are so many people,
rigs, and horses even tho only 50 or so riders each day.  Most everybody is
sunburned.  I'm trying to ride in long sleeve shirts as much as
possible.  It's hard to keep sunscreen on when you are putting so much
water on the horse over and over.

Most nights have had catered meals, which everybody says have been really
good.  We're eating our own food mostly, since we brought it and wasn't
planning on having anything provided.  Have been lucky enough to shower
each day, and get the horses cleaned up well.  They have benefited greatly
from all the nice green grass.  We need to catch up on some sleep.

I need to get off of this for now. Dave has to drop me off at the place we
are staying, then go back to the finish line and pick up Louise.  He sure
likes how this thing navigates together with the GPS.  The directions on
this ride for the trail have been most excellent, and so have all the GPS
waypoints -- you'd have to really try to get lost (nobody has
yet).  Yesterday I was able to look at the GPS and see what the nearby
towns were off in the distance.  The crews are all learning how to get
along pretty well too, Nebraska is pretty easy.  Everything is laid out on
grids so if you miss a turn you just keep going and turn at the next road.

*****four hours later

We're nearly all situated in our new place.  I just finished doing my
photos from today.  Greg (who we are staying with) lives right on the Pony
Express trail, and has a satellite internet connection so later I can
upload all of my photos and it'll be a lot faster.  I've got an entire
weeks worth to do at once, so that'll be great!  My horses are out in a big
arena now so they can move around until our other friends get
here.  Hastings is 10 miles away (where KoolAid was invented, I knew you
all knew that, right?), so we can go there this weekend and do all of our
chores.  Greg is so nice, he is gone right now picking up 40 bales of hay
for us so our ponies can eat until next weekend when we get to North
Platte.  I may or may not be able to get back on again until next weekend,
we'll have to see how it goes.  There just isn't enough time in a day to
find a connection on the days that I am riding.  I think my fastest day
(besides today <g>), has been about 9 hours and yesterday was 11.  Of
course, sitting in the shade on the laptop isn't all that difficult but
don't tell anybody I said that!  I've been good and have even sent
everybody postcards from two states so far.  Just have to mail them.
<vbg>  :+D

Happy XP Trails,

Karen
& Weaver, 100 miles