Re: RC: AERC nonmember fee idea/Board?

In a message dated Fri, 8 Jun 2001  2:28:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Nat & Richard <trailride@foothill.net> writes:

<< Just looking at this $10 Non-member fee from a "systems" point of view,
I'd have to say that the prudent thing would be to just get rid of it
altogether.

It is obviously a royal pain in the keester for ride managers, seems to
generate significant work for the AERC office staff (by way of
enforcement, answering questions, accounting, etc.), probably is not a
vital source of AREC income, and serves only as a negative incentive for
non-members to join the organization ("What's my break-even point, given
that I'd like to do a few rides each season, but I don't give a hoot
about collecting points?")

Instead of stressing about how to make the Non-member fee system work
better, why not just cut the Gordian Knot?   >>

Richard, this is by far the best summation of the non-member fee situation that I have read yet.  I've quoted it in its entirety in my reply, because it deserves rereading.  You've expressed perfectly how I and others have felt about it from the beginning.

Heidi