Preride electrolyte question

One of the statements I've read in the past (I believe by Eleanor Kellon)
was that the preride electrolyte dosings should be plain salt.  ("Dosing"
isn't really a good term since I don't recall that amounts or frequencies
were mentioned.)  The premise was that the salt alone would stimulate the
thirst more and help the horse get superhydrated before the start...and,
since the horse wasn't exercising and sweating a lot at that time, the
"balanced" electrolytes didn't need to be given until ride day.

Does anyone follow this regime?  Any thoughts on this strategy?

Sue