lopsidedness

Hi RC; At the risk of offending anybody, I feel that some horses are just plain lopsided from birth and there is not a damn thing you can do to change their body structure.  I have a mare with a bigger shoulder, and she has always been that way, and ten years of dressage work etc, has not changed a thing.  It was a saddler who brought my attention to it. After that "one rat study", I noticed that a friend of mine has three assymetrical horses on her place. Pasture potatos, and not a one has been ridden, they are all under 5 years old, and basically healthy, and all assymetrical on the same side. I have seen many horses with different hooves, different shapes. In fact we went to a seminar where the farrier speaking had cross sections of hooves and if you put them together you couldn't make them match..they came from the same horse.  Just like humans can have scoliosis and other bony deformities, I'm sure horses can come out crookedy.  Ever see those conformation analysis pictures in magazines? Who breeds those things? Or better yet, look at the pictures in ads for sale! Yikes.  And then if you have a horse for sale...nobody, and I mean nobody has ever made one comment about the conformation on any horse I ever sold (except one vet who liked the legs)  People buy them, and if they have a functioning reproductive system, they breed them.  To the cheapest and closest thing that is also breedable.  And so, we have imperfect horses.  I think correct riding techniques, and dressage work and maybe a little chiropractic may help...but it won't change the basic bone structure of the animal.   Beth