RE: Fw: Important re Virus

I know I don't offer much to Ridecamp, but this is a subject I am fairly
well schooled in. It seems that I've spent too much time, recently, dealing
with virus' and hoaxes. I hope some of you will take my advice. Here are
some general rules I've come up with to deal with these pests:

1. If you get an email about a virus, and it didn't originate from an
anti-virus company, please don't pass it on until it has been verified as
being truthful. Hoaxes can be a bigger "drain" than a real virus. For
instance, a number of people here got the SULFNBK.EXE message yesterday and
deleted the file. I then had to go back and replace it. What fun!

2. An easy way to find out if it's a hoax or not is at a search engine. Just
type in "SULFNBK.EXE virus" and see what comes up. Google gave me 25 pages
telling that this was a hoax. Also try www.mcafee.com or
www.virusprotection.com. These are good places to look.

3. If you open an infected attachment unplug your internet connection ASAP.
This way the virus can't send itself to your address book. Only restore your
internet connection after your system has been cleaned.

4. NEVER open an attachment that you aren't expecting, especially if it
doesn't have a [somewhat] personalized message with it. Delete it. Even if
the attachment wasn't infected, chances are you're not going to miss
anything very important.

5. Get yourself some sort of virus protection. I know it's a pain, but it
can save time and $. Remember that anti-virus programs need to be updated
frequently to work properly. For those of you with businesses, multiple
computers, and some extra $, you might want to look into Mcafee's
VirusScreen ASAP (www.virusscreen.com). VirusScreen will take all your
incoming email, scan it for virus' (even Word macro virus'), and send back
the "clean" email to your regular email server. You won't even have to make
changes to Outlook or Outlook Express server POP settings.

An ounce of prevention...

Good Luck

Regards,

Brian Kravitz