Re: RC: TICK HELP

At 09:28 AM 5/27/01 -0600, Jerri Larsen wrote:
>Help, dog has tick on her head... tick has the big swelled up bulb on the
>end and is hanging on for dear life.. It hurts dog to touch it, any good
>suggestions on how to get it out painlessly??

It is a female tick.  There may also be some males, the smaller, flatter
versions attached in the same area.

The way ticks attach is not likely to produce that much pain but some
dogs are abnormally sensitive to anything.

I'd subdue the dog and remove the tick.  I like to take a pair of needle-nosed
pliers to remove them.  That way I'm not trying to look around my stubby
fingers and I can actually see where I'm grabbing the tick to insure that I
get it all.

You want to use just enough squeezing to remove the tick without killing it.
Kill it after you remove it.  Killing the tick before or during removal may
push
bacteria into the dog which can cause a problem.

Within moments the dog will forget the discomfort.

Marv "This Snigtag is busy.  This Snigtag is busy.  This Snigtag is busy.
This Snigtag is busy.  This Snigtag is busy.  This Snigtag is busy.  This
Snigtag is busy.  This Snigtag is busy.  " Walker