Re: RC: Won't stand for mounting

In a message dated 5/24/01 7:23:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lady_selene@hotmail.com writes:

He's doing really well but he's gotten into the habit of either trying to
walk off or swinging his butt away from me when I mount. I always correct
him and put him back where I wanted him to stand but he is getting worse
about it.

The good part is that you are correcting him and putting him back where you
want him. I trust that your correction is in the form of repetition, with no
punishment.  I have two horses I have trained to stand for me, and I think I
just stumbled across it.  I use a mounting block, mainly because it's hard
for me to reach the stirrups and haul myself aboard.  I heard or read
recently that there is a lot of strain on the horse's back when the rider
mounts up.  Since I'm not a flexible as I used to be, I decided on the
mounting block.  It's easier on me and the horse. Two of horses can be
directed to stand ready for me to mount while I am standing on the block, by
neck reining, just as if I were on their backs and asking them to make a
turn.  They've become really good at it, and wait patiently for me to mount.
I would guess they like this method so well they are cooperating to the
fullest.  On the trail, I just look for a rock, a berm, or put the horse into
a depression or the downhill side of me.  I works just as well.  Try this, be
repetitious, be patient, reward them when they do it right, and see if they
change.  Then let me know if it worked for you.

Barbara