Re:SS, Woolback, Natural Ride

Hi All -
Hey what a refreshing topic to be discussing for a change, huh?
Corrin wrote-
 I've toyed with the idea of a full saddle cover, but since I'm afraid
the extra padding will cause a chafing
I write-
The sheepskin won't chafe you. But get one that is still attatched to the skin, the merino ones. Or if you're handy with needle and thread, you can make your own, I have one purchased one, and two that I have made.
Corrine wrote-
Just bought a 'natural ride' saddle (bareback pad w/ a fork), and have found
that the complaint that a couple people warned me of is exactly true--tough to
get your legs under you when the stirrups are hung from the fork which is in
front of you :-).....however, all I really wanted was the fork. I plan to modify the natural ride significantly
 I write -
Are you from White Oaks, Corrine? Then, I'm one who wrote to you. You should be very pleased with your modified Ride, I know I am. However, I don't use the little pad that came with it, I gave it to my cat!! I made a Ride built on a 1'' split neo/felt pad, with removeable stirrups; crupper ring, saddlebag attatchments, and standard western girth rigging. For stirrups, I bought a set of those "helper" stirrups (The "spare" stirrup you hang from a horn, for people who need a longer stirrup to mount from the ground, so they don't have to readjust their saddle stirrup when mounted)- $40 for two. I cut up an old western cinch for the rings, then bought a nylon cinch latigo ($6), sewed the rings on either end and velcroed it to the felt pad, this is my stirrup rigging (now before y'all gasp in horror, or even amusement (whichever) at my velcroed-on stirrup rigging, I've been using this for about a year now, and it holds. I used the HD velcro, sewed snug "keepers' on the pad, and I sit over the rigging. If I ever do get hung up, the whole thing will come apart anyway. The girth rigging is another nylon latigo, sewn to the pad.  I use a saddle blanket or a sheep skin over the riggings, to sit on. I shaved down the fork a bit, deburred the edges, and wrapped the ends with neoprene.  For attatching the fork, I cut slots in the pad, and the blanket (the sheep skin, if I use it,  velcroes on behind the fork). I placed thin patches of neoprene on the pad underside (thought that would be softer than nylon) to protect against the nylon strap (which anchors the fork to it) from rubbing the horse. The patches are only sewed on three sides, so I can get my fingers in there to grab the strap and feed it back through. The crupper ring and saddlebag attatchments are anchored through the pad with latigo saddle strings, however the bag attatchments themselves are 1/8" mountaineering line, with spaces cut in the blanket. I should get around to taking some pictures. I have a second one built on a woolback roper pad. The modified rides are very comfy, they are secure, and a very nice alternative to using a saddle. I've used this setup on long rides in varied terrain w/no problems.
Oh, for sore ankles or knees, get some stirrup turners. I bought a set, then made the other sets with leather and lag(?) bolts. Every set of my stirrups has them.
For pads, I prefer woolback. You can order them with a wither cutout, or do it yourself. I've never ever had one slip, I have several different types.
Ride Safe -
Cheryl in WNY