tough competetion

Well, John and I finished our triathlon this past weekend. While I was out there forever and ever I did way too much thinking. How are endurance rides and this type of racing the same?  Well, both require miles of practice. If you don't do the preparation, it shows in the performance. This is the reason I was out there for sooo long. Both are races against the clock, no judging. I do get a little judgmental (catty) when I see the young, fit tan chicks in their two piece Speedo's but that doesn't count. They both have overall winners as well as divisions which gives you a better chance at winning something. One has weight divisions, the other age divisions. I hate them both. The only time I ever won my age group at a foot race was when there was no one else in my age group. In triathlons they write your age on the back of your calf in permanent marker for the whole world to see. At endurance rides I hate having to whisper my weight to ride management. They always seem to repeat back very loudly "How much did you weigh?". And then they turn away and whisper to themselves "poor horse.". There is camaraderie and support in both sports. I enjoy the company of other riders at races and it doesn't bother me if they go on ahead. But when a 30 year old whizzed by me on her bike and said "Come on 501, (that was my number) kick it in!" I really wanted to throw a stick in her spokes. I haven't had any kick since I was 30 years old. Anyway, at the end, and I mean I was at the very end, I was chanting the motto "To finish is to win". I could hear the other competitors who had finished a long time ago saying things like "Yeah, coming from a loser" and "Who told her that crap?" and my favorite, "By the time she finishes she will be in the next age division". This is where the two sports differ. I am glad. If someone comes across the finish line in a foot race puking, the others say "Wow, they put all they had into that race". In endurance, if you bring your horse across the line in any type of distress, you get chastised, but good. I like the physical challenge of foot races and triathlons, but I like the mentality of endurance racing.The end results are the same. A big 'ole steak on the grill, ice cold Coronas and a nap.    Ride 'em any way you can. Lisa Salas, The Odd FARm