Re: My excellent ride weekend/rolling horse problems

Beth,

This has happened to a friend of mine, and also two of my mares; one after a hard Pt. Reyes ride, and one after an endurance ride
Both grazed, and walked out of it.  So, I won't let them roll after hard rides until they are thoroughly cooled out and hydrated.  I also took it to mean the horses were stressed more than I had realized by the rides.  I know it's nice to just let them alone after a ride in their electric corrals to nibble and roll, and I would rather be more cautious now, keep them tied with water and mash, and half walk the hour after the ride.

In both cases, both horses vetted through fine after the ride, seemed hydrated and just fine, until they rolled.  It could also be that by standing after rides, the heat keeps building up....so I will keep up the walking

Karen.
 Anyway, the senior citizen horse, went into a severe muscle cramp thing, it wasn't a colic, and the ride vet had to treat him right away. We then got into a discussion about whether letting horses roll at rides may screw their muscles up if they are fatigued. There was no consensus of opinion. Anyone had any experiences with that?