towing with auto trans adventure

A few years back, we were going to Tevis to crew, and we were driving our Ford f350, crew cab with a big old camper on top, and were going up that god-awful dirt hill into Robie Park.  This poor guy from Canada, Danny something, his truck broke down right smack on that road, and everyone had to go on the very edge to get around him, which was very very scary..  He was such a nice guy and we felt so bad for him. My husband hooked his truck and horsetrailer (unloaded) up to our Ford and was gonna pull the whole  thing up the hill. This kind of thing makes me instantly nauseous, and I wanted to barf watching this male adventure, so I got my daughters and walked up the road so I didn't have to watch. Damned if he didn't come roaring up that hill pulling the whole kit and kaboodle!   of course this is the tuck that last year blew three thermostats, then the whole engine, then the transmission and three batteries. Why do we still have that ugly truck? I wanted a blue one.  With Diesel. I guess it's the money thing ....Beth