Re: RC: Inteference Problems -- What is your systematic approach?

Lots of things can cause interference. Some are poor farrier work, poor saddle fit, rider needing lessons, horse not in condition to do what he is being asked to do, trail conditions, etc. Of course some interference is related to conformation and some conformations predispose a horse to interference given one of the conditions above.

The way I have found to work is to get a good farrier book and read it yourself so you can talk knowledgeably with your farrier and vet. Doug Butler's book is a good one. There is also a lot of info on the net at a few sites. Get a good farrier and discuss it with him/her. If you can find a vet that specializes in feet and legs then call them in for a opinion.

Many interference problems can be solved by changes in shoeing.  For example NBS shoes completely solved a forging problem I had with a horse. But I'm not sure every interference problem can be solved. In those cases if the interference is bad, I don't believe that even interference boots would make the horse a good endurance prospect.

Truman

RISTREE@aol.com wrote:

A couple of friends and I have been debating/discussing how to deal with a
horse that interferes.  Is it something you live with?  How, precisely, do
you approach/resolve the issue with your farrier?   Is it likely to be
conformational?  Is it rider related?  Do particular types of movers tend to
interfere more?  Is it possible to "fix" everything and still have an
interfering horse? -- I see a lot of endurance horses who always wear
interference boots.

Really interested to hear Ridecampers responses on this one.  In particular,
would love to hear from those of you with IQs over 55, if you can rouse
yourself to join in.  (Tongue in cheek joke everyone -- just kidding!)

Thanks in advance.

--Patti

--
Vertex Engineering, Inc.