Tom Ivers' essay

I follow much of what Tom writes, just to learn a different viewpoint.  I
realize that Tom believes that placing first is "winning", and on the race
track, that is true.  However, in endurance riding on the level across the
nation, the happy circumstance is that placing first is not necessarily the
only way to win, and therein lies the beauty of AERC's motto.  We all win in
different ways, whatever each ride means to each person.  I placed first in
only one ride in my 30 years of endurance riding, and I was very surprised to
realize that there was no more satisfaction in that one "win" than there has
been in numerous other rides. I guess I just don't possess enough competitive
spirit to care whether I finish first.  I'm out there having a good time on
my horse and loving the discovery of new territory.  I admire people who want
to place first and can do so, but it isn't my goal.  To each his own, and be
proud of it.

Barbara