Re: Colic

Marv wrote:

>>This may be an opportunity to discuss the merits of walking horses that are experiencing colic.  Our vet of 20+ years says that he'd rather the horse be walked as little as possible.  He doesn't even have any objection if the horse lays down as long as it's watched and not allowed to roll.<<
My vets (one has been practising for almost 15 years, the other about 3 years) agree.
He says that life being what it is, he seems to have colics in streaks and he may not be able to get to the barn as quickly as he'd like.  He feels that an hour or more of constant walking while in pain may be physically draining on the horse.
Fortunately, my vet is about five minutes drive away.  I 'phone as soon as I see a colic, no matter how mild it appears at first, because I am not a vet, and I can't tell whether it is an impaction / gas colic, or a twist.  My vet will say "I'm x number of minutes away" and I'll say "I'll start walking him".  By "walking" I mean taking him out and putting him in the garden.  He will amble around on his own, and every now and again want to go down.  Only if he wants to go down do we walk him, because this horse WILL roll, and roll hard.
Of course, personal circumstances allow this : my property is small, it takes two minutes to take him from the barn into the stable, and my garden is well-lit.
He also says far more horses were cured of colic on the way to the vet school than were cured by the vet school.  He has suggested loading a colicing horse in the trailer and taking it down a bumpy road.
My vet has told me this, as well, and I know some people who use this method.  Again, I prefer to err on the side of caution.  Once the vet has examined my horse, if he wants me to load him on a box / lunge him / leave him, I'll follow advice.  I'm just not prepared to pratt around for a few hours before 'phoning the vet.  I watched a friend's horse die of colic two years ago, and won't take that chance with mine.  I know that some die, even with a vet being present, but I wouldn't want to have "what if" questions if it happened to me.
Your thoughts?
One more : I am rabidly anti- giving finodyne / buscopan to a colicky horse unless a vet has examined him / her first.  I know that my circumstances are different to some of yours, in that I have a vet handy, and some of you might be hours away from a local vet.  But I know of some people whose circumstances ARE the same as mine, who DO give meds to their horses if they colic, and only call the vet if the meds / walking / boxing don't help, which could be a day later.  By then, it's sometimes too late.  Why risk a horse's life to save a vet's bill?
Especially when I'm so deep in hock to the vet as it is >g<.  What's a little deeper?

Tracey