Re: RC: Close pin trail marking?

In a message dated 5/14/01 11:58:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
circlebarranch@mcn.net writes:

What about using close pins with the ribbon tied to them?  I've heard of
people using this, but does it really work?  Do they stay, even if the wind
gets blowing hard?

I have been using clothes pins for several years, after over twenty years of
just tying them to trees. I prefer clothes pins, although they will cost you
up front, because you need so many.  You don't think about how many ribbons
you put up on a trail until you have pre-tied a few hundred clothespins and
find out you need more. They are much faster to put up and take down, and
they are re-useable. They stay put, even in the wind; the ribbon will shred
on the tips but the clothes pins will not come loose. After a ride, I hang
the ribbons by clipping them onto a circle of baling twine and then hang them
from a stout nail driven into a beam or rafter in our shop.  The ribbons hang
straight and are not all crumpled for the next year. This method also keeps
the ribbons up out of the way of mice and wood rats that want to munch your
ribbons for nesting material.

Barbara