GPS

>NAVSTAR does a very good job supporting what it was designed to do,
>calculate your location and give you accurate time. It can help you
>navigate to a specific location. It can help you follow a route you
>program in. It can do a lot of things, but how good a job it does on
>anything else depends on a lot of factors. I is much more capable of providing
>accurate information to an airplane in flight than a hiker on the ground.
>I would very skeptical of any distance measured on the ground in varying
>terrian by any of the commercial hand held units.

The Magellan 3000 I have can be off a quarter mile on the odometer and
quite a ways off on the location when returning to the same exact spot
(not real sure how much, but it's considerable - if you were in desert
depending on it to help you find your water cache, you'd be in real trouble)
and forget the elevation.  However, it is almost always within 2/10ths of a
mile on the odometer to my parent's house in South Haven, MI and back
to Conyers, GA, a distance of 767 miles.  The speed over ground reading
mirrors the vehicle odometer.

In the type of terrain I ride in, it is totally worthless.

Marv "I have to go back, my GPS lock signal says my trailer is open." Walker
How To Cure An Ailing Business ~ http://MarketingThatPays.com/medic.htm