Re: RC: Scratches

My gelding does the same thing Jeanne. Only seems to happen
in warm conditions and usually when there is also alot of
sand. Anyway, I treat with Athlete's foot medicine (I'll
look up the kind when I get home) and then top off with the
desitin. If I treat the minute the ride is done, I can
contain them and they will dissappear within 2 days. If I
put it off til I get home the next day from the ride, they
go almost a week before they are healed up. (Did that
once!) This doesn't seem to be the same type of scratches
that you see with wet conditions. Tammy.......does your
formula work on both?

heidi

--- Jeanne Slominski <EnduranceMorgan1@home.com> wrote:
> I've been reading the posts about scratches with great
> interest, but I would like to know if there is a good way
> to prevent scratches from happening to begin with. My
> older horse will sometimes get scratches doing a 50
> miler. Actually, the scratches aren't apparent until the
> Sunday morning after the ride. I keep his pasterns
> clipped during the ride season and try to remember to
> apply Desitin at every vet check. This doesn't always
> work.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks - Jeanne and Sonny

=====