`whips and spurs

While I agree that the bit is probably the most mis-used "tool" of many
horsemen, I think even "judicious" use of spurs and whips belong in the
rodeo arena and race track-where a horse makes a 15 second to 2 minute
surpeme effort.  But a horse that has is asked "judiciously" to give more
than he's already given after a 100, 75, or 50 mile supreme effort is
uncalled for.  Bits, spurs, and whips are extensions of the aids and
training tools and should be used as such.  If I ever find myself in the
elite position of completing that kind of mileage I'd be ashamed to use a
whip or spurs to get my horse across the finish line.
I don't believe either belong in an endurance ride-which has been labeled
endurance RACE unfortunately.
sherry davis