Re: RC: Re: Fwd: FEI Stuff, (Spurs, Safety, Self-defense, etc.)

What all you said may be true but, the FEI did pass the rule for a reason. There
is most like more than one reason involved. It is much easier to pass a rule
forbidding the use of spurs/whips and enforce it than it is to have a rule
against the misuse of these items and enforce those.

In one case just by having them - you are in violation. The second case requires
the proof of abuse or intended abuse - which means you have to define in a
legalistic way "abuse" which would stand up in every court in the world! The FEI
is not immune to law suits - especially since significant amounts of money could
be involved to a rider or a farm ( endorsements, selling horses, speaking
engagements, etc.).

I would believe the FEI doesn't have the desire to have to defend itself in such
a suit.  It seems to me that the FEI took the easy way out. Instead of growing a
set of fangs and using disciplinary actions against abusive behavior and solving
the problem, they passed a rule against the instruments of such behavior, and
stuck their heads in the sand hoping the problem would go away. So what's next,
grinding "teeth" into the inside of stirrup irons or mabe special heels on their
boots so we can have the effect of spurs, but still be "legal?" At that point
would they pass a rule against the use of stirrups and require everyone to ride
barefoot? (yes I know this comment is a bit facetious - no need to tell me :-)
).

I know riders who ride with crops and or spurs and who are not at all abusive.
Letting a horse swing its butt into a spur and then swing back away from it is
much superior than being helpless when it swings and kicks another horse in a
crowd. I also know people that can be very abusive with their heels, or the
sides of english stirrup irons. So in many respects this is a bad rule since
those who want to win at all cost can find ways to do and still be within the
rule.

I also think the jury is still out on how the FEI endurance will be perceived by
the US public in general. Lots over ridden and/or treated horses is not going to
go over big with the public in general or the rank and file AERC endurance rider
for that matter. Taking spurs and crops from riders is not going to solve this
problem.

While I agree that there have been a lot of  positives associated with FEI level
endurance, there is also the real potential of a backlash against our laid back,
"backyard AERC rides" where 100 horses show up, 80 finish and none are treated -
vs. less than 40 percent finishing and a bunch treated which has been the case
at some of the FEI races. So while I agree we should look at the positive side,
we also should look at it realistically and not through "rose colored glasses".
We need to figure out how to keep the good and steer the FEI in such a manner to
mitigate the potential negatives.

Cheers
Truman

--